Well, we finished our century up in Tahoe on June 3rd. Amazingly enough, compared to some of our training rides, it was actually not that hard. Sure, sitting on a bike seat for 7 hours and 10 minutes, that was hard, but at no point in the ride did I say to myself, "I can't do this."
Here's the route, for those who are curious (and again, if you've got Google Earth you'll really get a feel for this ride). Oh and for those of you who have commented things like "oh my god, how did you climb that much?" the GPS elevation gain shown is pretty inaccurate. Actual climbing for America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride is something like 4400 feet, not anywhere near the 8000+ feet shown via the GPS site.
Here's the last set of training rides leading up to the event: Tomales Bay (70 miles), San Rafael (46 miles) and Black Diamond Mines (41 miles).
There you have it. At 40 years old I completed my first century. I enjoyed it so much I signed up for another one last week. I'll be doing the Marin Century on August 4th. I'll keep posting my training routes and commentary here while I get ready to do that ride.
Monday, June 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment